Monday, December 14, 2015

Hello!

Can you believe that I have been a missionary for two days shy of three months? Because I can't. It's super weird, and I feel like I am in this alternate universe where time simultaneously stands still and moves really fast at the same time. It seems like just yesterday I was saying goodbye to my family and walking into the MTC. Man, It's seriously weird. 

This week has been nuts. So many things going on all the time. We never have enough time to do everything that we need to. 

On Monday We got to go to Balboa Island, which is this awesome little man-made island in the ocean. There are lots of little shops and places to go. It was a super fun Sisters activity. 

On Tuesday, we had a successful day of tracting and visiting less-actives. We had some interesting conversations with this man who is a professor of theology. We tried really hard not to argue with him and just leave, but he really wanted to talk to us about different religions and why ours was wrong... So we just testified to him, and disengaged. It was a weird conversation. We also had our Christmas... Activity? As a whole mission. It is always fun to see all the people who came out with me. We had a blast, and got to see a lot of friends. 

For the past few weeks, we have been able to go and help at Habitat for Humanity. It has been a great opportunity to do service for us. Service is one of my favorite things to do for people. I love going and helping with whatever we can. It's great. :) Especially when you see how much people need help and see how grateful they are for you. It makes being a missionary so amazing. 

We also had a mission-wide Sisters training meeting. They gave trainings on so many things. Modesty, music, love languages and how to get along better with your companion, and many other things. We heard the story of how our mission president and his wife met and got married, and it was probably one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard. After they were done telling the story, he got down on his knee and proposed to her again. (He has always felt like he didn't do it right the first time.)  I looked around while this was happening, ( I have to admit I shed a few tears as well) and almost all of the Sisters were crying at least a little bit. It just made me laugh, because this would never happen at an Elders training. 

One of the STL's made up a rap and was going to present it during one of the trainings, and at the Christmas party was asking around to see if anyone knew how to beat-box. I have a very, very, very basic form of beat-boxing, (It's not very good) but she asked me to "drop a beat" for her during the Sisters training meeting. It was fun, and an opportunity to share a talent that I had never really considered to be a talent of mine. It was fun. :) 

Last story for today. :) Yesterday, Sister Blair and I went tracting for an hour before dinner. We prayed before, and asked Heavenly Father to help us find someone who we could help. As we were walking, we saw this girl standing in her driveway, and we went and talked to her. We started our normal spiel, "Hi, we're the missionaries! Could we share this quick two minute video with you?" She said yes, so we shared the A Savior is Born video with her. After it was over, I asked her how she felt, she proceeded to tell us about her depression that she had been dealing with for years, and how now she didn't really feel anything anymore. I felt so sad at that moment, because here was this beautiful daughter of God, who didn't think that she could ever feel His love, or even feel happy ever again. I suddenly had this prompting that I had to tell her. So I testified of things that I knew. That she was a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father who only wanted her happiness. I testified of the Atonement, and repentance. As I was talking, she started to cry, and the Spirit in that moment was so strong. I knew that she could feel it, and that the Spirit was telling her that what I was saying was true. I had another thought at that moment, that I needed to invite her to be baptized. I was taken aback, because I had just met this girl, and I didn't want her to think I was nuts for inviting her to be baptized... But I asked that if she had a witness and knew that the things we had shared were true, if she would be baptized, and she said yes! She also said that we could come back and teach her and her family, and that she would come to church! It was such an amazing miracle that we were able to meet her and testify to her, and help her feel the Spirit. I am so excited to see her again. 

Heavenly Father is just waiting to bless us. When we are obedient and do the things that he has asked us to do, he will make miracles happen in our lives. I have seen it time and time again on my mission so far. 

Transfers!!! I will be staying in South Coast for this next transfer, ( our ward was really happy about that :) ) and I will be getting a new companion. Sister Blair returns to New Mexico on Wednesday, which is crazy, because we just got here. I can't believe that it's almost 2016. I'm nervous, but excited for transfers, and I will let you all know what's going on! 

I love you all! Thank you for your prayers and support! 
Love, Sister Wood :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment